• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Working On A Product To Reduce Carb Consumption

Kshridhar

Moderating Team
Product looks great. If this is wired for use in the U.S. I would love to try it out. The pasta maker pots here have a colander like inner container that is placed in the main pot with water. The colander is removed by the handle which results in draining the water into the pot . Can a similar container be produced for rice cooking? This can be cooked on stove top. Wish you all the best with you venture.

Raja

Regular Member L19
Thanks @Kshridhar Yes, we are making it in a manner that it can be used in both India/US/Singapore and many other countries.

We are long way from selling it in US or other mature economy as it's a different regulatory environment and we are too small now.
But of course, you should be able to buy it in India and then take it along with you.

Could you send me link to pasta maker to study it in more detail.

Mukundan

Veteran Member
Great Initiative......Playing the devil's advocate here.......From what I know most of the electric rice cookers are priced under 2000 INR/- (upto 1.5 Litres).....Convincing folks into buying this low starch variant for 7000/- INR may be a challenge.........Also folks who are educated/ aware of Keto/LCHF diet would rather go grainless than stick to Rice with starch removed......So the price point and advertising both needs to be tweaked based on market response (I am sure it will be a big success)........ I think this product might succeed in the overseas market(Singapore/ US)..........Selling to Indian customers may be more challenging.

Best of luck:)

Raja

Regular Member L19
Great Initiative......Playing the devil's advocate here.......From what I know most of the electric rice cookers are priced under 2000 INR/- (upto 1.5 Litres).....Convincing folks into buying this low starch variant for 7000/- INR may be a challenge.........Also folks who are educated/ aware of Keto/LCHF diet would rather go grainless than stick to Rice with starch removed......So the price point and advertising both needs to be tweaked based on market response (I am sure it will be a big success)........ I think this product might succeed in the overseas market(Singapore/ US)..........Selling to Indian customers may be more challenging.

Best of luck:)
Thanks for your response @Mukundan .

Price - The main reason for higher price are 2.

1. The heart of a standard rice cooker is a thermostat. User takes care of how much water to put for his type & qty of rice and as the water get's steamed off, the temperature rises above 100 degree C (water's boiling temperature), thermostat senses the rise in temperature and switches off the heater. If we want to drain the starch water after rice get's cooked like in this cooker, obviously the thermostat is of no use. Hence a computing element (board and micro-controller) based on user inputs (LCD), few sensors like temperature to regulate the temp, motor and platform to rotate the container for draining, draining container with a sensor to make sure no overflow, 2 caps etc are required. These components all together double the cost of manufacturing.

2. A standard rice cooker is an invention from 1940's and hence commodity, most brands selling them in India import from China where these are mass manufactured at huge scale. Ours being a new invention, we are currently trying our best to manufacture just few hundred pieces and test the market. The initial investment is huge, irrespective of we produce 100 or 10,000 pieces. I hope that explains the price.

Also, we are not the only one in market, there is currently another one (with their own patent) which is doing good business outside of India market and it sells for about INR 40,000/- .
YES, you read the figure right.

Agree on the point of Keto/LCHF would rather go grain less. In my time spent on the forum i have come to realise that :)
It's huge and dedicated effort and i have come to respect you guys for that commitment.
But, I still hope there is a market in the normal household.

Last edited:

shashikantiyengar

Moderating Team

1. The heart of a standard rice cooker is a thermostat. User takes care of how much water to put for his type & qty of rice and as the water get's steamed off, the temperature rises above 100 degree C (water's boiling temperature), thermostat senses the rise in temperature and switches off the heater. If we want to drain the starch water after rice get's cooked like in this cooker, obviously the thermostat is of no use. Hence a computing element (board and micro-controller) based on user inputs (LCD), few sensors like temperature to regulate the temp, motor and platform to rotate the container for draining, draining container with a sensor to make sure no overflow, 2 caps etc are required. These components all together double the cost of manufacturing.

2. A standard rice cooker is an invention from 1940's and hence commodity, most brands selling them in India import from China where these are mass manufactured at huge scale. Ours being a new invention, we are currently trying our best to manufacture just few hundred pieces and test the market. The initial investment is huge, irrespective of we product 100 or 10,000 pieces. I hope that explains the price.

Also, we are not the only one in market, there is currently another one (with their own patent) which is doing good business outside of India market and it sells for about INR 40,000/- .

Agree on the point of Keto/LCHF would rather go grain less. In my time spent on the forum i have come to realise that :)
It's huge and dedicated effort and i have come to respect you guys for that commitment.

It's useful to our carb addicted non diabetic and also diabetic relatives
:)

Mukundan

Veteran Member

2. A standard rice cooker is an invention from 1940's and hence commodity, most brands selling them in India import from China where these are mass manufactured at huge scale. Ours being a new invention, we are currently trying our best to manufacture just few hundred pieces and test the market. The initial investment is huge, irrespective of we produce 100 or 10,000 pieces. I hope that explains the price.

Thanks for the detailed post and explanation......Reading your response, I believe that such a product needs to be sold by a skilled educated salesman/engineer who can clearly elaborate on the technical specifications, highlight the differences between the commodity product and this niche product to convince the customer and also talk on the health benefits that accrue. Probably start from health perspective, benefits and then move to the price justification based on engineering superiority in the sales cycle. So, product evangelism and a dedicated team to promote the product and positive word of mouth may also help......

There are many folks who may buy after someone else has tried and is ready to provide unbiased testimonials (First movers).... There are many niche products in the market positioned to target certain market segments but may not sell in volume outside that segment.......Finding these first movers who are also willing to vouch for your product online may help quite a bit......

I wish you all the very best in your initiative.......Yes there are many non diabetics/ diabetics who are carb addicts who could benefit (even if it is minor) in their glycemic control using this refined version of electric cooker.

Vinay Raj

On Ketogenic Diet
Moderating Team
@Raja First off excellent initiative. It seems like the opportunity is to create demand to make this a must have rather than a good to have given price points etc. Also you will most likely be selling to people who buy low carb flours, health food mix etc etc and not necessarily the crowd here as @Mukundan has so wonderfully alluded to. Given that, perhaps the marketing has to be on hyperbole "Upto 80% less carbs in white rice than usual rice cooker, hence eat 3 times" or something to that likes, as thats the market segment that will fall for it. Sorry about that pitch, but thats the best marketing line i could come up with :) . I hardly ever trust words like "upto" greater than" etc etc., but thats just me. Having said that, I would still buy this, just because i ideologically support your initiative and intention, but this is the early adopters in your product lifecycle and you really need to get to the chasm so that you can see through this. Evaluate the positioning and marketing carefully. For example, I understand that there are select super stockists and dealers (hardly a dozen) even in large cities that supply 60-70% stuff to about 80% pharmacies. I might be off as my local pharmacist told me, but folks like @shashikantiyengar should certainly know and with a good dealer ship network and this being a "health" product you might want to look at that route etc.
Again I have no idea about all this, just fyi..

Raja

Regular Member L19
@Vinay Raj Thanks for your inputs.

It seems like the opportunity is to create demand to make this a must have rather than a good to have given price points etc.
Early days for me, trying to get a feel of the market. Am not yet convinced on this one, let me give you few data points to explain my thoughts.

1. I am from Puri, Odisha, famous for it's Jagannath temple of 11th Century. Customs in the temple haven't changed much in all these years and rice is cooked for lacs of people on daily basis following this method. Same method followed all over Odisha.
2. Take a look at a recent movie Raees based on Gujarat. There is a scene showing rice cooking for riot victims. Again following this method.
3. Ask any Bengali or South Indian - how they cook rice, the answer will most likely be, they still cook like this in the villages. Only in the city, busy people have moved to pressure & rice cookers.
The answers are similar for people from Bihar, Himachal, Punjab, Assam, Easter UP.

So, the point am trying to make is, the starch draining method of rice cooking is traditional for lot of Indian's. Am not trying to change their preference for methods of cooking. The urban educated who is short of time and probably thinks there is no difference in the 2 methods needs the hard sell. For other's it's automation of their traditional method which wasn't done so far.

Rice cooker is one of the most basic appliance used in lot of developed rice eating nations. For example, in Taiwan, with a population of 23 mn., 4.5 lac rice cooker were sold in 2012 alone and is a well advertised category in mass media. I never saw a single rice cooker adv ever in Indian mass media even though lot of similar priced appliances are very well advertised. I think it's because it's a misfit product for us. It's something that people buy when they are absolutely not left with any option to save 20-30 mins. of their daily chores. Almost everyone who cooks in the draining method manually has a tale to tell of injury while trying to drain the starch water.

Then, there is Indian diaspora.
So, am still trying to get a feel, if the traditional base is my main customer base or it's the urban one, which needs hard sell with data. Jury is still out.

Overall my direction is, I am not trying to be a medical research company trying to always prove the "upto" greater than" etc etc. The scientific data on these things keeps changing too often and too fast, even though they come from reputed university with huge research grants. I am too small with my limited resource to take this path of "proving". I plan to quote the latest data as bought out by other credible sources and change the quote with fresher data from credible sources if it changes. Else, probably i will be picking the wrong battle to fight.

Regards
Raja
--- Post Auto Merged ---
@Vinay Raj Will be obliged for a share on the social media profile.

@Suresha N R Thanks for your encouraging words, will be obliged for a share on your social media profile.

RGC

Veteran Member
Will look for more info on your site. Certainly like the product but since have stopped cooking rice I will let my friends know about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kshridhar

Moderating Team
See the link below for a sample pasta cooking pot. This is just a set of containers with inserts to drain out the water after cooking . This can be multipurpose product for steaming vegetables, or noodles or pasta. This could be a good be quick mover in the market, given the low technology ,if this is not already out there. It could serve as a revenue generator while you build your niche market for the electric rice cooker :)

Cuisinart 6-Qt. 3-pc Pasta Pot with Strainer

I applaud your efforts. I think it is a great idea. Many diabetics on the forum do have a small quantity of brown rice, quinoa or Miller's etc. I never exceed more than 2 tablespoons of brown rice at any point of time. Just knowing I can have that occasionally is a soul satisfying feeling . It is a matter of compensating for other carbs. This keeps me sane knowing that I am not totally deprived of my favorite foods :). Low carb life style does allow for some grains based on your glucometer reading. This product is good for those cheater days. This keeps me also on track with this regiment.

Raja

Regular Member L19
Finally someone says it straight. Method of rice cooking could be related to T2 Diabetes.

Any inputs ??

"
White rice contains about 90% carbohydrates, which could be the major cause of type 2 diabetes. However, the methods of cooking plays a major role in the maintaining the carbohydrate level of rice. Traditionally in each household, rice is cooked by boiling it till all the water is steamed out. However, with the advancement in life styles, the method of cooking rice has also seen its turn from the traditional ways to rice cookers. People find it easy because it saves time. All they need to do is put the switch on after putting the measured volume of water and rice. In both the methods, rice is not drained with the water after it is cooked. By this method, the whole starch content remains in the rice. It gets accumulated in the body once it is consumed. Therefore, straining off the extra starch water from rice after being cooked could be the potential solution to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. After cooking the rice in more volume of water than used in the traditional methods, it should be drained with the running water. Hence, this method of cooking helps to remove the starch from the cooked rice and more rice can be consumed compared to rice cooked by traditional ways.

—The author is a Ph.D. Scholar at School of Life Sciences, Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar."

Kashmiris' Method of Cooking Rice: A Potential Cause of Diabetes - Kashmir Reader

LGF

Veteran Member
@Raja Very nice and great effort! (y)

This will I think also help people who want to go gluten free, in case they have gluten allergy or celiac disease.
Or to some extent for SIBO as well.

Is it possible to interrupt the set program of cooking, in case one needs to add oil, spices or veges to turn it as poolav? Just a thought.