• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Forum Help Upcoming Major Version Upgrade -- Version 2.x

Status
Not open for further replies. Only Members of the Moderating team can reply.

DLIFE

I am not a BOT!
Moderating Team
We run this forum on commercially licensed software with annual renewal of license. The developers have released Beta 8 of the Version 2.x (major upgrade) and we briefly tested it today and found that all the commercial and free add-on become non functional so many of the access control settings based on third party plugins get hosed.

Worse part is that the third party developer of the commercial add-on/plugins have refused to upgrade their own stuff to make it compatible with the upcoming major upgrade Version 2.x of the forum software. Hence, we are now getting the same ported through another developers on additional charge per plugin/add-on in a phased manner.

Most probably, we will lose the Bookmark functionality and that will have to be done afresh through another commercial plugin - Bookmarks

We would also add certain additional features to the forum but some of them will only be available to specific group(s) of users.

The forum would continue to run as is with restrictions on when one gets access to different forums based on number of posts count to their user account. If any user would want to avoid those restrictions right from the word go, we will announce a policy in due course of time.

We will not be attempting upgrade till we have all the plugins/add on are ported for the new version of the software. In addition, it won't be done till the new version is n BETA. As to what features/changes come with the new version, take a look at:

What's new in XenForo 2.0

Stay tuned for further updates to this thread!

Last edited by a moderator:

DLIFE

I am not a BOT!
Moderating Team
Update 1:

Three add-on have been ported to the upcoming version 2.x of the software.
Work in progress for 6 more and this should be completed by the end of the next week. This would complete all the add-on currently being used on this site and the developer who offered them bluntly refused to make them compatible with upcoming version.

Once all the current add-on are ported, we will then have few custom add-on done specifically for our setup, from the same developer who is currently engaged for the work. Of this, first one will be integrating PayU payment gateway for INR transactions. Account setup with PayU is all done; bank linking verified. Waiting for their agreement papers to come and they shall be signed and posted back to them.

Then next will be the bulk upload of blood sugar readings / manual update and then auto generating reports to be posted automatically in a given forum. The specs for this is still being finalized. We still don't know how much will be the costs involved, but this is bare min we would like to have to begin with.

Fortunately, one developer who was offering his plugins for current version FREE is upgrading his add-on for version 2.x and offering it as a bundle for an annual recurring fee. We don't mind paying annually any developer who stands behind his/her code 24X7X365! The concept of free is slowly dying it's own death :)

Stay tuned for further updates to this thread.

DLIFE

I am not a BOT!
Moderating Team
Update 2:
  1. RC1 of the S/W is released this Tuesday by the vendor and we are expecting RC 2 next week.
  2. 7 of the 10 add-ons (including some new custom add ons) have been ported and this week we should be able to complete all the add ons.
  3. We shall be upgrading this forum, next week once RC 2 is released.
  4. Expected downtime for upgrade: 6 hours as lot of cleanup and migration steps will have to be completed, including the add ons.
  5. Post the upgrade, we will then start having custom integration of some additional features taken up step-by-step to make this forum more feature loaded --aka Premium -- from diabetic's point of view. More on this will be announced in a separate thread.
Stay tuned for further updates to this thread.

DLIFE

I am not a BOT!
Moderating Team
Update 4:

They are pretty consistent and predictable with their releases.
Historically, releases have normally come on Tuesdays. Wonder if there's some Bajrangbali bhakt in their dev team :)

RC2 is released and we will be upgrading tonight.
Not much of a visible downtime as upgrades would be a job of around 15 min max, with major time spent on DB and filesystem backup's pre-upgrade after taking the site down in maint mode. Yes, if anything goes wrong then restoring to last working state could take another 15 min.

We will keep updating this thread till we are in RC branch. Once stable is realsed, we will announce all updates on the usual thread.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

DLIFE

I am not a BOT!
Moderating Team
  1. Profile Cover image Add On as been ported and active now. Since this is a completely new rewrite, users will have to upload the Cover profile image again. Those without a Cover image will have default image -- https://www.forums.dlife.in/pexels-photo-55787.jpg
    Advertising spam limitations apply to Profile cover image. Help
  2. Link Posting limits add on is also ported and active now.

DLIFE

I am not a BOT!
Moderating Team
when ever I open forum there is sentence - Oops there is problem.
But after clicking Alerts it start working.
Which part of the site? The Home page or some other section?
Have you tried clearing browser cache?

Maybe just try CTRL+F5 and see if subsequent days access is fine.

DLIFE

I am not a BOT!
Moderating Team
Home page.
No, don't have idea how to do it.
  1. Just try CTRL+F5 on Home page and then see if the issue repeats the next time you access. If it does then try point 2 to clear browser cache/cookie
  2. CTRL+SHIFT+Delete button pressed at same time. Then from the Pop up except for your saved passwords, you can select to clear everything from the beginning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies. Only Members of the Moderating team can reply.