• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Official Announcements Upcoming Custom Features -- Under Development

Status
Not open for further replies. Only Members of the Moderating team can reply.

Anup Singh

7th yr T2 No Meds
Moderating Team
Diabetic Since
Feb 14, 2011
Diabetes Type
Type 2
Not much of an expert, but saving Computed Values in Tables is usually not advised, unless essential.
Some Normalization Rules I read long time back.
Offhand, one link :
Should I store a calculate value in my database along with the variables?
Database normalization is for theoreticians.
Data warehousing needs redundancy for faster execution of code. Forums are basically data warehousing and what we would do is mining (data dredging) too on at least item 1 ;)

A heavily normalised system gets screwed under load due to table joins and compute. Actually, I loved normalized design for system, but every time I did my younger bro used to shout at me and then run examples on Oracle to show how redundancy is far better. I am a man of Metallurgy forced into this field so when he shouts I just light a fag. He is my boss on system design and I am his boss on server shell, so both get opportunity to shout at each other :D :D :D

Normalization also means having Inter table key constraints --that's what a heavily normalised schema is. I was looking at XF database structure. They don't have any FK (foreign key) constraints as far as I could see from 200 odd tables :)

Anup Singh

7th yr T2 No Meds
Moderating Team
Diabetic Since
Feb 14, 2011
Diabetes Type
Type 2
One small query.
Does the User have the choice of editing the Macro Values ( C / P / F / F ) that he has entered, at a later stage ?
Post 48 hrs of creation, records are non editable. This is done keeping stage 2 in mind.
Within 48 hrs, it can be edited as many times as one desires.

Anup Singh

7th yr T2 No Meds
Moderating Team
Diabetic Since
Feb 14, 2011
Diabetes Type
Type 2
One small query.
Does the User have the choice of editing the Macro Values ( C / P / F / F ) that he has entered, at a later stage ?
We decided to keep the 48 hr part as configurable from admin back end so that in case of emergency, it can be changed to higher value for any missed edits and back to default of 48 hrs. Earlier it was set to be hard coded.

Anup Singh

7th yr T2 No Meds
Moderating Team
Diabetic Since
Feb 14, 2011
Diabetes Type
Type 2
Closing this thread now that everything has started. Moderators can still post to this thread.
We should have this by coming Sunday (hopefully) and then for a week all moderators can test and give feedback on any bugs/issues and we will have them addressed before going live.

During testing, you can use random data and not actual data as we will truncate all the data logger tables before going live.

Will post a new thread on next stage plans.

Recyan

Moderating Team
Diabetes Type
Type 2
Don't know how, somewhere along the line. missed posts in this thread ( looks like brain smog ).
I am assuming he meant, as one enters the macros to be saved, calories is a computed field from that and is also saved. In the context of calories spent in exercise etc. in point 6 , Anup Singh is providing a way to track CICO how much ever he is against it ;)
:D

Status
Not open for further replies. Only Members of the Moderating team can reply.