• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Official Announcements Free Access Model - Details You Should Know

DLIFE

I am not a BOT!
Moderating Team
Diabetic Since
Nov 30, -0001
WE started this forum under Free Access Model in Aug 2014, and over the period of time kept tweaking the rules to ensure participation by members. This is a forum run by diabetics and has become the largest and most active forum for Indian diabetics across the globe. Then, a stage came where we felt the need to have exclusive features added as part of forum and that's when the idea of Freemium (combination Free & Premium) model replaced the Free Access Model's only existence. Free Access Model would continue ad infinitum. But, here are few points that you need to take note of:
  1. When you join, you are placed in "NEW MEMBER" group till you have posted your Introduction in one of the FOUR INTRO Forums in THIS SECTION of the board almost all the forums will be non accessible. Also, you cannot post a reply anywhere to any existing thread on the forum. Anything posted in forums under general section doesn't count towards your post count.
  2. Once you post your Intro, you will get a reply back in form of a post with important links. But, those links will not be immediately accessible. It may take a maximum of 20 minutes as your account group gets automatically upgraded to NEW MEMBER - ACTIVE. All group promotions will have this time lag -- max of 20 minutes as upgrade routine runs automated, 3 times per hour.
  3. After this, you will be able to access the links noted in the first reply to your Intro Post.
  4. In order to drastically reduce any spammer getting through, we have few restrictions till your account gets upgraded to next level (Check the Escalation ladder details below). You can post only ONE NEW THREAD per day and 2 REPLIES per day.
  5. There's also a cool off period of 60 minutes between posts as we would want that all the links posted in the reply to your introduction post are give a look as they are going to be the foundation.
  6. From here on, as your post count increases, you group automatically changes (subject to lag noted in point 3 above) and forums start opening up for access. Refer the Escalation Ladder below
Escalation Ladder: This badge displays everywhere.
  1. NEW MEMBER: No access rights except for viewing FAQ/Official Announcements and forums in the General Section. Only right is to post Intro thread.
  2. NEW MEMBER - Active: All the links in the reply post become accessible and so also all threads in the Intro forums. You can go through them to get to understand the first step as to how users manage, report and get answers to their queries. We are very INFORMAL Here. So no sir, no ji, no madam, by and large.
  3. REGULAR MEMBER - L5: On achieving 5 posts, the Breakfast forum opens up for access. Few other forums also open up.
  4. REGULAR MEMBER - L12: On achieving 12 posts, the Lunch forum also is opened up for access. Rights to setup signature opens up. Right to post only 2 links per post.
  5. REGULAR MEMBER - L19: All four meals forum are accessible and almost all of the diabetes/obesity related forums are open for access. Message minimum length restriction removed. The number of threads and posts per day that can be posted is increased many fold.
  6. VETERAN: This is on hitting 100 posts. All but 2 forums are open for access. Rights to use Pvt Communication, post more links in posts/threads. No limits on anything.
Please do not try and game the system to increase your post count. On certain forums, posts are not counted toward user post count. Moderating Team here is very vigilant. Also, please refer Do's and Don'ts as we would want to keep this board a place where one would want to come back daily, time permitting. But, trying to game the system by posting thank you messages initially will be handled by Moderating Team as an attempt to game. If we find this happening often, and wasting time of moderators, we will increase the minimum number of words and characters that is required in posts before hitting post count of 19. Instead of posting THANK YOU messages, just use the LIKE button/link on the posts. That's as good as saying Thank You! Maybe we will rename that link to Thank You!.

Yes, this may sound a but cumbersome but that's how we have grown from 2014 till date.
For anyone who would prefer a no restriction access and much more, we have the Paid Access Model which does not have any of the above access rules and you get access to everything right from the word go, besides getting access to features/tools/content only available through Paid Access Model. Pl refer THIS THREAD for details.

Stated summarily, following two combined is the Freemium model that this forum would be running on from Jan 2018 or any date earlier if we decide to prepone on completion of the custom features.
  1. Free Access Model: Work your way up the escalation ladder as noted above
  2. Paid Access Model: None of the above restrictions apply. Also access to the upcoming dLife DataLog and some content only available under this this model.
This thread over rules all preceding threads on access rights and escalation ladder. We will delete those threads to remove confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aashish Pabari

Regular Member L19
Diabetic Since
Jan 9, 2020
Diabetes Type
Type 2
My profile says I'm on L19 level, and yet when I try to access any link, it says not allowed. Am I missing anything here?

DLIFE

I am not a BOT!
Moderating Team
Diabetic Since
Nov 30, -0001
My profile says I'm on L19 level, and yet when I try to access any link, it says not allowed. Am I missing anything here?
Checked randomly permission systems for few forums and global. Found nothing wrong. Can you pl update on which link, node, forum is the error thrown?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aashish Pabari

Regular Member L19
Diabetic Since
Jan 9, 2020
Diabetes Type
Type 2
Thanks for the reply. I guess I found the culprit. I was already on a page on which I had previously logged on (before the changed format). So it redirected me to the can't access page for every link.

Closed all web pages, logged off, logged in again and I'm good.

I love the idea of free and paid version. As per my understanding, the idea is to get members in this forum to come forth and share as much of their experiences / questions / doubts / results / outcomes, thus allowing this wealth to spread and benefit every one.

Love my association with dlife and it is now my Bible to guide me whenever I get stuck. Off meds completely (yes from a figure of 305 mg/dl fasting to around 90 mg/dl ( zero medications) for more than 3 months now, what more can I ask for?

And the best part - I'm loving it.

DLIFE

I am not a BOT!
Moderating Team
Diabetic Since
Nov 30, -0001
Thanks for the reply. I guess I found the culprit. I was already on a page on which I had previously logged on (before the changed format). So it redirected me to the can't access page for every link.
Glad to hear that issue is fixed.

I love the idea of free and paid version. As per my understanding, the idea is to get members in this forum to come forth and share as much of their experiences / questions / doubts / results / outcomes, thus allowing this wealth to spread and benefit every one.
We are getting in Data Logging to forum, something that no other diabetes forum in the world (to the best of our knowledge) offers what we are integrating. Idea here is that diabetics get to store their data and be able to look back at them anytime from anywhere. And, as the time passes, we will keep adding more and more exclusive features, like for example auto generating threads of charts of trends, statistical nos etc down the line if the first phase is well received.

Love my association with dlife and it is now my Bible to guide me whenever I get stuck. Off meds completely (yes from a figure of 305 mg/dl fasting to around 90 mg/dl ( zero medications) for more than 3 months now, what more can I ask for?
(y)

Do post your success story in this forum -- My Success Story On LCHF
It would help motivate others!