1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest Wondering How To Switch to LCHF Diet? Check Here
    Dismiss Notice
Welcome dLife.in Community!

If you are new here, please take time to READ THIS and then signup for account. Please make sure you check your SPAM folder for email validation mail. Also white-list @dlife.in in your mail client.

News Here Are 9 Recent Diabetes Breakthroughs You Need To Know About

Discussion in 'Diabetes Research & News' started by S_antosh, Jul 31, 2017.

1. S_antosh

S_antosh Moderator

Diabetic Since (dd-mm-yyyy):
    21-03-2015
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 2
    Diabetes is not just one condition - but whether your body is struggling with blood sugar levels due to type 1, or type 2, or even only during pregnancy, it's a serious condition that requires daily care and still doesn't have a cure.

But scientists have been working hard to find cures, new treatments, and better management techniques for the millions of people worldwide dealing with diabetes. Here are some of the latest developments you need to know about.

1. Brand new beta cells.

Type 1 diabetes develops when a person's immune system wipes out insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas. But it turns out that another type of immature beta cell has been hiding in our pancreases all along, and scientists think it might be possible to use these 'virgin beta cells' to restore the functionality of the pancreas.

2. A preventative vaccine.

Finnish researchers are about to embark on the first-ever clinical trial for a type 1 diabetes prevention vaccine.

While it's not a cure for those who already have the condition, a successful vaccine could potentially prevent thousands of cases each year, as the vaccine targets a virus linked with the development of an autoimmune reaction in the pancreas.

3. A unique transplant.

One woman with severe type 1 diabetes has spent a year without insulin injections thanks to an experimental transplant. Doctors implanted insulin-producing cells into a fatty membrane in the stomach cavity, and the success of the operation is paving the way towards more people receiving artificial pancreases.

4. New pancreas tissue.

Earlier this year scientists announced that they reversed type 1 diabetes in miceby giving them a transplant of pancreatic tissue. The tissue was grown using stem cells from non-diabetic mice, and the success of this method suggests it could be a treatment avenue for people, too.

5. Intensive treatment program.

For people with type 2 diabetes who have developed insulin resistance, a ticket to diabetes reversal could be an intensive combination of therapies tested by Canadian researchers. The short-term course trial successfully reversed the condition in 40 percent of the trial participants.

6. Platypus venom.

Scientists in Australia have found a new type of the insulin-regulating hormone GLP-1 in a surprising source - the venom of platypuses and echidnas. In humans the hormone breaks down really quickly, leading some people with type 2 diabetes to develop a dependence on medication.

But the GLP-1 produced by these animals is a lot more stable, providing clues for new diabetes treatments.

7. Longer-lasting meds.

Researchers have also managed to make GLP-1 last longer by creating special slow-dissolving molecules that carry the hormone. In preclinical animal tests their new solution lasted more than two weeks from one injection. For people managing their type 2 diabetes with daily shots, this could be an exciting development.

8. A symptom-reducing diet.

By putting diabetic mice on a special diet, scientists recently managed to reverse symptoms for both types of diabetes in their test subjects. The researchers think that the diet forces the pancreatic cells into a kind of 'developmental reprogramming'. Next up - testing this in people.

9. Broccoli.

There's a compound in broccoli called sulforaphane, and a 12-week study on volunteers with type 2 diabetes recently showed that the chemical was really helpful at regulating their blood sugar.

More research is needed, but the results are encouraging, and the drug could one day be added to the arsenal of treatment options.

Here Are 9 Recent Diabetes Breakthroughs You Need to Know About

Recyan, Ramgopal, Anup Singh and 2 others like this.
  2. hrgupte

hrgupte Well-Known Member

14/1/2016
    Diabetes can be cured, but not by targeting blood sugar: Scientists

In a provocative piece of research, scientists in a Pune-based institute used computer simulation to show that the current treatment modalities are not the best for type 2 diabetes and a change in approach could make the nasty disease one of the curable.

The scientists led by evolutionary biologist Milind Watve at the Indian Institute of Science (IISER) Pune, created a computer model by putting together for the first time all known metabolic, hormonal, neuronal, immunological and behavioural signals involved in the onset of diabetes and in its manifestation in the human body.

3. Anup Singh

Anup Singh Admin

14-02-2011
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 2
    In Marketing there are three approaches:

Convince
    Confuse
    Corrupt.

I think he is on second stage :)

JP Verma, Ramgopal, Recyan and 4 others like this.
  4. hrgupte

14/1/2016
    So no drug is on it way???? :banghead:

5. Anup Singh

Anup Singh Admin

14-02-2011
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 2
    Dr Chhajed or Sharan type is on the way. 1 lac for full course maybe :)

JP Verma and hrgupte like this.
  6. hrgupte

14/1/2016
    His book is already in market... Dove Diplomat and Diabetes...

7. Anup Singh

Anup Singh Admin

14-02-2011
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 2
    Kaash V also had medical degrees. Every diabetologist would have been out of business :)

8. hrgupte

14/1/2016
    Bhai tum ek book likh dalo....
    best income is out of royalty..
    Royalty Income, Rewards Life Time

JP Verma, Manoj Kumar and arun kumar like this.
  9. Anup Singh

Anup Singh Admin

14-02-2011
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 2
    Publishers are cheats. They will pay you 1/10th of what one actually deserves to get.

To tell you a personal experience, as a student of Engg at Roorkee, I had written a book/guide for Roorkee (Now IIT Roorkee) entrance. Back then it was Univ Of Roorkee. Had even hand written around 4000 pages of "Agarwal Classes/Brilliant Tutorials" (famous in the 80's back then) like study material. I was dreaming of driving a Maruti 800 in campus :D

And, the guide became a over night success because for Chemistry, 80% of questions in entrance had the types covered in the guide. This was published when I was in final year. Entire third year was spent hand writing the content, getting stencils cut etc. The guide kept doing business even 10 years down the line. I was the sole author. But, when I left Roorkee, they added two more authors to it. Not only this, I had revised a book from same publisher on "Civil Engg" though my field was Metallurgy :)

What did I get? Rs 15,000 only. And, the publisher was a friend.
    Had he given the royalty genuinely, I would have been driving Maruti 800 in campus back then :)

10. Recyan

Recyan Moderator

Diabetes Type:
    Type 2
    It hurts when friends take advantage of you.:(

11. Anup Singh

Anup Singh Admin

14-02-2011
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 2
    And, the worse part is you cannot even express it to the offender :)
    I had been to Roorkee with my wife after Marriage as had a very close and dear friend and wanted to meet him as first thing after marriage. Our HM trip was more of a Pilgrimage circuit visiting Haridwar, Rishikesh etc :D :D :D

Had met that publisher friend too over dinner and behaved as if nothing had happened. I had seriously forgotten the past.
    Back to that publisher friend. Almost 25 years down the line we came in touch again thru FB and he said he is now into imports from China. Then few months down the line, I get a call from his elder sister asking me for money (six figure amount) as she needed it for treatment of her brother -- the publisher friend -- who had gone into some psychiatric problems and as per her had even attempted suicide. She said she will pay back. I said fine let me see what I can do.

Then she asked me for contact details of the closest friend that I talked above. I didn't give the details to her -- for obvious reasons -- and had a long talk with that friend over telephone (he is in the US). He said, is she cracking a joke? :D :D :D Then told me to check her FB pics and said stay away from her (again for obvious reasons) :)

Since I started getting too many calls from her, I finally blocked the number :D :D :D

"TIME" (or God if one exists) takes care of squaring the account books of life. :)

Vinay Raj, Kshridhar and Recyan like this.
  12. hrgupte

14/1/2016
    dosti mein .......
    But bhai you were young and not experienced... now guess with lots of wisdom gained over the years... ek try toh dedo...
    Now yar... you are even spending money and time for this forum... kutch parmarth bhi kar lo Gurujee...

13. hrgupte

14/1/2016
    इथे असलेल्या मराठी आणि अमराठी परंतु मराठी अवगत असलेल्यान साठी...
    पुणेकर मंडळींनी आजचा सकाळ नक्की उघडला असेलच ( पुण्यात 'सकाळ' पेपर शिवाय सकाळ होतच नाही म्हणतात ..अगदी सकाळच्या अत्यावश्यक देहधर्माच्या गोष्टी सुद्धा घडण्यास सकाळ पेपरच कारणीभूत असतो असे सुद्धा म्हणतात..लहानपणा पासून पेपरची लागलेली सवय दुसरे काय?? असो )
    तर सकाळ पण ५ वर पुण्यातील इंडियन इन्स्टिटयूट ऑफ सायन्स एजुकेशन अँड रिसर्च ने केलेल्या एका अभ्यासाचे निकष मांडलेले आहेत.
    बातमी मधुमेहींना साठी आशादायक आहे.. आपण स्वतः वाचावी आणि विचार करावा ह्या साठी हा उद्योग
    Sakal Epaper
    I am sorry this article in Marathi...
    But gist of article is that there is sort of cobweb of various Hormones in the body... and if we alter or disturb any of the string... we lose balance... it is very delicate balance..
    one interesting point he mentions...that in human trials the some how they choked beta cells function in healthy individual... still in spite of less insulin the fasting sugar remained unaltered...
    Our Pune members may meet the person and gain some more information for the benefit of others..
    PS: May be our members can unmask him for some fake research...and throw some more light on his money making scheme..or otherwise...

Attached Files:

geo, arun kumar, Recyan and 1 other person like this.
  14. geo

geo Moderator

21/09/2015
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 2
    :LOL::LOL::LOL: पेपर वाचून झाला कि पेपर वरच

hrgupte likes this.
  15. hrgupte

14/1/2016