1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest Wondering How To Switch to LCHF Diet? Check Here
    Dismiss Notice
Welcome dLife.in Community!

If you are new here, please take time to READ THIS and then signup for account. Please make sure you check your SPAM folder for email validation mail. Also white-list @dlife.in in your mail client.

Self Management Experiences After 1 Month Of Low Carb

Discussion in 'Diabetes - Type 1- Juvenile Diabetes' started by shalini, Feb 1, 2016.

1. shalini

shalini Well-Known Member

Diabetic Since (dd-mm-yyyy):
    10-10-2006
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 1
    No type I joined yet, hope it will change because it helps to share experiences, just like the type 2s do. Of course I am happy and grateful with the suggestions and advices I have received, no doubt about it!

Completed one month of low carb diet for my ten year old kid, these are my experiences:

• starting the insulin requirement went down to one third of original dose and now 10 units less than before low carb diet, a little bit more than half of previous dose (maybe at first body was not efficient in converting protein to glucose??)
    • my daughter suffered some days from brain fog/keto fog which was not due to a shortage of electrolytes because I was pre warned but now her body has adjusted and she is back to her normal self.
    • she lost 2 kg which as also friends from Dlife pointed out is natural at the start of the diet, but it is not pleasant for a parent to see especially as she had a good weight, but now no more weightloss and though not gaining, she looks strong.
    • Previously she needed glucose tablets to adjust when she feels low and does a lot of sports but now tic tacs are sufficient. (if you don't have CGM tic tacs are easy as they don't contain very much sugar, so even if you take one or two more you don't get a sky high reading.)
    • It is not easy to change over, not for the faint hearted, you have to be motivated, lots and lots of checking. I love the telecast Dr. Bernstein gave on dosing insulin for proteins and carbs, for every new menu item it is a laborious process of finding the right dose of insulin to cover the new food, in stead of using the term estimation of insulin to cover the carbs and proteins he talks about GUESTIMATING, very true indeed. ( no simple flow chart, it is different in type 2 diabetics who still produce some insulin which can cover some of the proteins, less fluctuation)
    • Exercising is a challenge, basal rates need to be changed, sometimes effect continues for more than twelve hours. Sometimes boluses can be skipped. Sometimes exercise has much less effect on the bloodsugar, which means checking, checking, checking. ( I truly wish for a bloodless gluco sensor, affordable, Abbot has one, but it is only available in some European countries and they are out of stock, long waitinglist)
    • Some days she needs a predawn dose of short acting insulin to cover Dawn effect sometimes not, haven't seen year any fixed pattern, maybe one day more growth hormone production which counteracts insulin than another. Yes we check at night, several times....
    • I have tried resistant starch rice twice, I used only three spoons at a time, it still gave a peak (not too much as quantity was very less), for my daughter I can't use it instead of rice, unfortunately.

Hope these experiences can help a type 1 in India starting low carb diet, I am still positive of the gain in switching over, it is based on logic and all over the world there are people giving positive feed back.

Especially if you have just been diagnosed I would immediately start this as it saves whatever functioning Betacells you have left and can prolong your honeymoon with a low dose of long acting insulin.

2. Anup Singh

Anup Singh Admin

14-02-2011
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 2
    @shalini --
    • First, thanks for such a informative post based on experience of handling juvenile diabetic. We do have one more Type1 -- @MCJ -- but he doesn't visit often. Even with PPI surgery he takes 40 ml of VCO.
    • For insulin dosing (bolus) Dr Bernstein mentioned 2 to 2.5 units of normal insulin for 8 grams carbs. For protein he mentions number per ounce of protein. Can't recall the exact numbers.
    • Yes, changeover needs dedication. But, meter readings, drug dose reductions and comparatively flatter readings profile are best motivators. With child, it needs her courage too. Doing it from this early age will make her handle this very well and she will have far better health than those injecting industrial doses of insulin to cover high spikes of High Carb diet.
    • Perhaps you can add a MV which has Alpha Lipoic Acid, provided her thyroid function is normal. I remember Dr Bernstein also talks of EPO (Evening Primrose Oil). I haven't tested and have no experience on this.
    • As a Type 1, checking 6 times a day is standard. Sometimes more. With a detailed log maintained, over a period of time post meal can be skipped.
    • Honeymoon period won't last long. But, are you sure that she still is in honeymoon period?
    • Resistant starch is not replacement for rice. It's taken in water, smoothie cold. No heating at all.
    • Always keep a watch on urine ketones.
    Keep us posted.

3. shalini

10-10-2006
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 1
    Thank you for your useful points and swift response.
    The maximum bolus for any meal for my daughter is 1.5 units of Actrapid (on low carb diet) so I guess in children it is not the same ratio, if I give more than 2 units, 4-8 hours later we will still be having lows and feeding her glucose tablets. Only if she starts at more than 160 mg/dl pre meal than she needs more insulin to cover her pre meal high. Protein also not as in a flowchart, sometimes you clearly see a glucose peak 3-4 hours after ingestion of more protein , other times not at all.
    I love your encouraging words, yes, by checking she will get to know her own body response and understand how to maintain her health. It is interesting, there is a group of people on the net vehemently opposed to restricting a child's diet to low carb, according to them it is inhuman to impose it on a child and will hamper her social interactions with peer group, also some insist carbs are necessary for good growth. I think it is always good to know about the opposite views, I keep an open mind but as for now I don't feel it is a too great imposition especially when you balance it with the investment in her future health. I'm sure that once we get more experienced there are always ways we can find to let her enjoy herself with her peergroup without damaging her health, after all there are people with severe nut allergies, or those with celiac disease who also cope because they have to.
    No, my daughter is way passed her honeymoon, she is not producing any insulin, no Cpeptide. I added the last lines to motivate other type 1s who have just been diagnosed to start with this diet. (like the Australian radiologist, I think you have some links on this website)
    About the rice, I meant the recipe for SR rice, boiled with VCO, it didn't really work for us as a meal, maybe just a snack.
    I am not using ketosticks for urine, I am having a hard time finding them, also, I am not too worried about the ketones, she is getting her insulin at a good dose to cover her basal requirement so I don't think it will give that much of extra information for me, but if I get them I will use them also for scientific interest.
    I am not that keen on supplements as she is eating a varied diet and I have forgotten what Alpha Lipoic Acid benefits are, I will check it in Dr. Bernstein's book.
    Usually we check a minimum of 8 times a day, since starting low carb diet as we have to learn how her body responds to new food, it's learning from scratch.

I think it is wonderful the interest you show in those visiting this forum and the time you spend on responding and answering queries, you are doing a great service and I hope by writing down my experiences it will help type 1s to make a decision if low carb diet can be fitted in their life too.

Prabhuraman, papanna, Recyan and 4 others like this.
  4. Anup Singh

Anup Singh Admin

14-02-2011
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 2
    • Oh those groups against LCHF are idi0ts. Let caretaker/parents and the child decide collectively what's good.
    • Social interaction doesn't mean eating Cakes, Pastries, Pasta and McDonald's
    • Fat and proteins are unavoidable. CARBS are not essential. The non-replaceable-by-ketones glucose body can make from proteins. Brain loves ketones as fuel
    • Uristips I bought from eBay - Urine Ketone & Glucose Test Strips for Urinalysis 100 strips
    Off Topic - Parents of Charlie Abrahams (s/o Hollywood director) went through same pro drug industry "Groups" when his father decided to put him on Ketogenic diet for drug resistant epilepsy. Here's more on this in a separate post -- Do No Harm - Movie On Real Event In Life
    Back then there was only one hospital doing ketogenic diet in the US. Now there are more than 200 AFAIK.

5. LGF

LGF Veteran Member

22-06-2001
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 2
    @shalini Hats off to you, keeping that courage and patience to handle the Type 1 of your young daughter of just 10, so successfully.
    Your determination will surely help her get better and maintain healthy body in future. In fact I have read some where, keto diet may also
    help regenerate pancreatic cells, needing less insulin or could be no insulin. All the best to you. Great show! :)

Prabhuraman, papanna, Recyan and 3 others like this.
  6. Anup Singh

Anup Singh Admin

14-02-2011
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 2
  7. shalini

10-10-2006
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 1
    Thank you for your support, it means a lot!

Prabhuraman, papanna, Recyan and 3 others like this.
  8. arun kumar

arun kumar Moderator

Diabetes Type:
    Type 2
    I salute your efforts and dedication. Your daughter is very lucky to have mother like you.

9. shalini

10-10-2006
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 1
    Thank you for your encouragement!

arun kumar likes this.
  10. Anup Singh

Anup Singh Admin

14-02-2011
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 2
    @shalini -- Can you pl share the ratios that you are maintaining wrt C : P : F

Prabhuraman likes this.
  11. shalini

10-10-2006
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 1
    I am afraid I am still experimenting with food and I don't have any fixed ratio, I am judging it rather unscientifically by her energy level, feeling of hunger, weight gain (she is gaining a bit, healthily) and my common sense. I started a bit high on protein and am now concentrating on adding fat whenever I can without destroying taste of dish.

Prabhuraman, Recyan, LGF and 2 others like this.
  12. Chetan

Chetan Member

Pre-diabit
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 1
    @shalini . this post is really encouraging for us.

Prabhuraman, Recyan, shalini and 3 others like this.
  13. PUTTARAJU H S

PUTTARAJU H S Active Member

01-01-2011
    Diabetes Type:
    Type 1

QUOTE= My recent lab report dated 15/06/2017

HBALc 8.7 %
    T.S.H 2.69 uIU/ml
    --- Post Auto Merged ---